Pandesal (Dinner Rolls)

I think this was my 4th batch of pandesal/dinner rolls. The key is let dough rise and knead as much as you can. I found out also that by putting the baking dish on the very top rack inside the oven. It helps to even up the color, on my first try I put it in the middle rack it end up cooking the bottom of pandesal faster than the top. The bottom is crunchy while the top look like its not even cook yet. This is very easy to make.

Pandesal/Dinner Rolls

6 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 tsp dry yeast or 1 packet
2 cups lukewarm water
1 tsp white sugar

Soften yeast in lukewarm water with 1 teaspoon sugar added. Set aside for 5-7 minutes.

In a bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and shortening. Add softened yeast and half of flour (3 cups). Blend well. Gradually add the remaining flour and continue mixing until dough ceased to stick on the side of the bowl.Transfer dough on a slightly floured board, knead until smooth. Form into a ball and place in a slightly greased bowl.

Brush surface of dough with oil, cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place (inside a kitchen cupboard) for 2 hours or until it doubles in bulk. Punch down. Then, roll out on a floured board, into 1 and 1/2 diameter strips.

Cover with bread crumbs. Let rise for another 15 minutes. Then cut into 1 and 1/2 pieces. Arrange on a slightly greased baking sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle with more bread crumbs. Let’s rise for another 30 minutes or until it doubles again in bulk.
Preheat oven at 425F. Reduce heat to 375F when you put in pandesal. Bake until slightly brown.
For special pandesal: Add 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten. Cut pandesal into smaller pieces (1").
For commercial purposes: Add a drop of egg-yellow food coloring to liquid mixture.

10/26/2015 ETA:
Every time I make this now I make a newer version. I divide it in half. Six cups of flour is way too much. I guess if your family (family of 6 or more) eat this all the time, that is fine. My family doesn't. So, For my variation I used 1/2 a cup of warm water for the yeast. I add 1/4 cup of warm milk and 1/4 cup of melted butter. I also been adding 1 egg. The sugar I always put less than 1/4 cup. Yes, I like to play with the recipe especially when I have time to do so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Chop Teriyaki (Grilled or Broiled)

Paksiw & Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Stuff Sweet Peppers