Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glazed


Remember the group I told you about a few post back? Yup, I got the idea from them. The pictures of food and recipes they share looks really good. I need to make my own and try them. With this recipe, my youngest and only daughter like it. DH does not like anything with fruit, but he will eat it when someone else gives it to him. He will not eat anything I make. I am still mad at him about the pumpkin cake he got two years ago. Ha! I told him I can make it if he wants it. He said, "I can't say no." However, he can say NO to me with no problem. Thanks DH!



I have enough blueberries from my 6 bushes and made this delicious easy dessert. You might say, 6 bushes? That I should have gotten more, right? Well, actually this is the very year that I actually able to harvest some. Before, I can only get a handful, for my whole harvest. I got three cups this year. Showing below is only one cup.


The caterpillars ate the flowers the first year. The deer enjoyed the leaves for two years. And I got really angry this year complaining I never gotten any good harvest so, I fenced and netted the area. I sprayed urine outside the fence and added a few tablespoonful of used ground coffee around the trunks. I am planning on putting a taller posts and double the wiring on top of each other so that the deer can't jump inside. I have a four feet tall fence around it right now, and that fence it like nothing to them. It never touch their belly, plus they are not scared of me/us.

"A scone is a baked good, usually made of wheat, or oatmeal with baking powder as a leavening agent and baked on sheet pans. A scone is often lightly sweetened and occasionally glazed with egg wash. The scone is a basic component of the cream tea or Devonshire tea."

Thank you so much SallysBakingAddiction.com for the recipe. I did not follow the direction to the T, I omitted the sprinkled sugar and I made my glaze with added lemon rind.

Blueberry Scones
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour 
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, frozen
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 heaping cup (190g) blueberries (fresh or frozen, do not thaw)1
Glaze
  • 1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grate the frozen butter (I used a box grater.) Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar. Separate the scones so there is a little space between each one.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. To make the glaze, simply whisk all of the glaze ingredients together and drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.
  5. Make ahead tip: Scones are best enjoyed right away, though leftover scones keep well at room temperature for 2 extra days. Scones freeze well, up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up to your liking before enjoying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Chop Teriyaki (Grilled or Broiled)

Paksiw & Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Stuff Sweet Peppers